Monday, 18 June 2007

1st Anniversary Week

It's hard to believe that the time has rolled around to tick off one year out of New Zealand.

The last year has gone by so quickly. At the end of last week it was a year since I finished my job in Napier and Saturday was one year since I left New Zealand. The beginning of this week marks a year since I was in Singapore and then towards the middle of the week I mark off the first year of my stay in Japan.

When it's all said and done, there isn't really much I can comment about it. It's been a pretty good year all up. I'm even confident to say I'd live the year all over again if I was given the chance.

But going forward it's all about new opportunities. Some people say that if it isn't broken don't fix it. Japan isn't broken. Japan is in fact very comfortable right now. What needs to be considered however is the fact that Japan was by no means intended as a forever thing; it was only originally embarked on as a one year exercise. Never mind, plans change [for the better] and in this case it doesn't really make much difference. I haven't really got a time line or a deadline, it's just about whatever feels right on the day. 

This living overseas business is a privileged lifestyle not experienced by the masses. I know many people who I went to school with are long stranded in New Zealand: kids, jobs, mortgages; and I'm sure they'd love to be away experiencing the freedoms of the world. Need I go on any longer!

Welcome to my second year abroad.

No comments: