Wednesday, 9 May 2007

United States Fleet Activities Yokosuka

After our trip to Kamakura as previously reported about, we stopped by the United States Fleet Activities Base of the United States Navy in Yokosuka.

I visited Yokosuka in September last year and had a good look around at what was viewable for the public, but today we only stayed around the railway station area.

It's amazing the number and size of ships in port. From our vantage point we could see three submarines and a number of war ships. The port spans a large area and many other ships could be seen in the distance.

What I was excited about was seeing a United States Navy Aircraft Carrier. The USS Kitty-Hawk is based at Yokosuka and although it wasn't anywhere to be seen clearly I am convinced I could see the top of it over some buildings in the distance. I've put a picture of what I could see below.

Here is a sample of some of the war ships tied up.


A submarine dock-side.

What I understand to be the top of the aircraft carrier USS Kitty-Hawk.

No comments: